History of Colleyville, TX
Like many of the cities and towns in North Texas during the mid-1800’s, Colleyville has seen more than its fair share of struggles coming into existence in the Wild West. Built on the tracks that run across what’s now known as Tarrant County, Colleyville has a long historic past that anyone can enjoy.
History of Colleyville, TX:
As one of the fastest growing cities in Tarrant County, people looking into Colleyville real estate should learn about the roots of the city and how it came to be. Originally known as a predominantly rural community, Colleyville real estate has geared up in recent years to reflect the growth of the city.
Colleyville’s origin comes from the small community known as Red Rock, located nearby the community of Bransford. Built around the general store owned by Felix G. Bransford, the two communities merged in 1888, and renamed New Bransford.
The major St. Louis and Southwestern or the Cotton Belt Route ran through the small hamlet, bringing new settlers and travelers with every passing day.
The new community enjoyed unheard of success during this period, expanding the town to include a livery stable and four general stores along with a lodge hall ran by the Masons. Four doctors lived within the town limits, and one was named Lilburn Howard Colley.
Dr Colley came to settle in New Bransford after leaving his native Missouri in 1880. He played a crucial role in the development of medicine in the Northern Tarrant County region, and he became a widely respected community leader backed by 40 years of practicing medicine in the community.
His name took after a store opened on Glade Road, south of New Bransford in 1914. This region became known as “Colleyville” and it wasn’t until 1940 when the smaller hamlets of Pleasant Run and Pleasant Glade merged the small southern town outside of New Bransford’s limits.
After World War I, New Bransford fell into decline as the automobile made much of the town’s past outdated. Eventually closing up all the shops and buildings in New Bransford, the population in the town fell as low as 155 in 1940, leading to the conversion of Colleyville.
Coming into existence in 1956, Colleyville has combined the regions of Grapevine, Euless, Bedford and Hurst into an attractive new place for any family to live. Colleyville real estate has been on the upturn for years now, and a large part of its historic past has much to do with that fact.